Monday, February 04, 2008

 

Question from South Texas Politics

Friday night, the Chair candidates were invited to a debate. It was actually one of those question and answer sessions. Evy Coppola was a no show.

One of the questions was "Shouldn't precinct chairs be sanctioned for supporting a republican in a non-partisan race (such as city council)" This is not a direct quote, but as close as I can remember.

Yesterday, I asked the question of a bright 16 year old.

She said you can't tell people who to support.
I said the precinct chairs take an oath to support only Democratic candidates.

She said that's different.
I said, remember, this is a non-partisan race and you shouldn't ask people what party they belong to.

She said, That's complicated, isn't it?
Actually, yes.

In a non-partisan race, as I said on the TV, as County chair, I couldn't get up and tell people to vote for any one candidate because I was obviously a partisan person, but I could support someone quietly. I don't ask people what party they belong to, but i often get a vibe. As a member of the Beach Access Coalition, I supported 4 people for city council. I still haven't asked
3 about their affiliation. They were on our side on the issues we cared about.

The Democratic Party is not the one that demands group think out of its members. The first time we try to make rules that way, I'm on my way to Costa Rica.

Saturday, at the Patriot Guard mission, I was surrounded by people who don't think the way i do. I keep quiet in those situations because we're there for only one reason. I did wear my Code Pink pants, though.

There I ran into a guy I could have supported for city council when he ran. I found out Saturday, to my shock, that he's a Republican. Why sould I be surprised? He's a marketing major.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?